Sunday 1 April 2012

Nefarious Nightmare

Staring the monitor without a blink
As I sip small gulps of my drink
I lose track of space and time
Trying hard to find words to rhyme

I close my strained, burning eyes
To imagine something to feel nice
My tired mind soon drifts into sleep
Then a dreaded dream begins to creep

I see myself working in the dream
When the fire alarm begins to scream
All around , I search to find no one
All precious possessions I shun , I run

Fire exit maps - all burnt and charred
My hopes of escape feel so jarred
Intuitively I run towards the staircase
As I trip over the fallen flower vase

I am hurt now - bleeding  in abundance
My bruises singing in all their cadence
Finally I stumble upon a hazy gaze
A way out of the inferno flavored maze

Finally out of fiery lair , I feel free
A sense of achievement and glee
But this joy was just momentary
Shredded by thunder's trajectory

My hurt right leg feels as its amputated
Away from lightnings, slowly I ambulated
A few yards apart, seeing clear serene space
With all my strength, I paced towards the place

There I found the man with the wrench
Trying hard, his teeth and fists clenched
Gloomily he said "Your world is tearing apart"
Hurling the wrench to pierce thorough my heart

He shouted "You are the only one to blame
For you started that world-ending flame.
So I punish you with your death"
Listening to this, I took my last breath



Image courtesy : Robert and Shana ParkeHarrison


Prompted by Poetics: Nightmare Verse at dVerse Poets Pub 
hosted by Stu McPherson

9 comments:

  1. whew man, nice write...yikes on meeting that man at the end as well...and the world coming apart...def a surreal feel to this...nicely done..

    ReplyDelete
  2. O, this is dark...aren't you glad you're awake...yet dreams are clues, often resolutions to the day's puzzling events. Like much the haiga; it goes well with your words. Interesting write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well mix of dream and death put forth in words...I guess this is what they call as dark writing...
    keep it up
    Cheers
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's got to be a better way. Having someone kill you because your muse is on a vacation. Hey maybe the drama might alert your muse the vacation is over. smile...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow!! what a dream!! m glad it was only a dream :)
    wonderfully written!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly nightmarish, it is... Nice hidden symbols, there is some sad truth in this I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  7. really scary...I can feel the fear in your well chosen words.

    ReplyDelete