Friday 2 October 2020

One Night Sit

The sky pours
my anxiety sours
I have so many chores
left to do in my writing course.

Like I am on the deadline
Hoping everything will be fine
the mind has become a landmine
the oasis of ideas is hit by a famine.

I have a small coffee sachet
to kill my sleep like a machete 
as my thoughts burn like an omelet
as the clock plays a Russian roulette.
 
I had given up thrice
like a scared puny mice
made me feel not very nice
hoping the deadline adds some spice. 

As my ideas go nuts 
I munch on boiled peanuts
Fighting my mind's if and buts
As discomfort wriggles in my guts.

It is 3 AM and I am still awake
as strings with words, I try to make
Procrastination is always a mistake
I have this weird sense of being a fake.

I slurp on my dried lips
reaching for the pack of chips
Wishing I had some hummus dips
As my mind ambushes me with quips.

Concentrate on my tasks, I must
Watching an online tour seemed just 
to ensure my plan doesn't kiss the dust
but my mind fiercely personifies wanderlust. 

I fall asleep beside my thought stream
When In my head I heard a silent scream
only to be woken up by an alarm in my dream
And my blank screen taunting me with a gleam.

6 comments:

  1. Thank goodness I'm no longer in the world of deadlines, but you took me back. Love this: "my mind fiercely personifies wanderlust."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleep is a gift specially when you are searching for words and being crushed with anxiety and deadlines. Enjoyed your stream of consciousness writing. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That feeling of looming deadlines is not fun. Hope the situation improved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deadlines! Argh!! Your desperation was quite palpable, Umesh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading this. This is really well done. especially, "I have a small coffee sachet / to kill my sleep like a machete / as my thoughts burn like an omelet."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, and only too relatable, I daresay.

    ReplyDelete