Monday 10 November 2014

The Haunting Number

No matter where I go
No matter what I do
I see you everywhere 

In my favourite TV series 
On my social network feeds
You slip in with utter ease
Irking me like watermelon seeds

On billboards in big malls
On discounts in e-commerce sites
Dragging me into lost memory halls
You always falls into my sight.

In issues creeping up in office reports
In default settings of eBook reader
Sending my thoughts on swift teleports
You pop-up like an extinct cheerleader

In high scores of games I play 
In a great mathematicians puzzle
On my watch every night and day
Warping me into a souvenir hustle

On the stats of my fitness trackers
On prices of books I wish to buy
Bursting up my thoughts like firecrackers
And lighting up my mind's sky.

Stop haunting me, nostalgic number!! 






Updated:  Wrote this poem a long time ago and took an even longer time to complete it and it seems apt for the Poetics prompt at dVersePoets Pub, to write a poem about seeing and interpretting signs.  This particular number has been like a sign that has been haunting me for years across different places and times. 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umesh, now you have my curiosity going. What is the number??? I usually see groups of 3 of the same number, like 222, 333, 444...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umesh, not sure if you got my other message. This is Lisa from dVerse. I understand about those numbers. Most of the time it seems interesting when the triple digits line up for me, but I'm not sure how I would feel if the same number kept chasing me around. Of course, enquiring minds want to know: what's the number???

    ReplyDelete
  4. This happens to me with my numbers, too. My birthday.

    ReplyDelete